19th Century: 1847

William Wells Brown (1815-1884)

                                           Narrative of William W. Brown, a Fugitive Slave

                                                                        Chapter V

     My master had family worship, night and morning.  At night, the slaves were called in to attend; but in the morning they had to be at their work, and master did all the praying.  My master amd mistress were great lovers of mint julep, and every morning, a pitcherfull was made, of which they all partook freely, not excepting little master William.  After drinking freely all round, they would have family worship, and then breakfast.  I cannot say but I loved the julep as well as any of them, and during prayer was alwayscareful to seat myself close to the table where it stood, so as to help myself when they were all busily engaged in their devotions.  By the time prayer was over, I was about as happy as any of them.  A sad accident happened one morning.  In helping myself, and at the same time keeping an eyeon my old mistress, I accidently let the pitcher fall upon the floor, breaking it in pieces, and spilling the contents.  This was a bad affair for me; for as soon as prayer was over, I was taken and severely chastised.  

     My master's family consisted of himself, his wife, and their nephe, William Moore.  He was taken into the family, when only a few weeks of age.  His name being that of my own, mine was changed, for the purpose of giving precedence to his, though I was his senior by ten or twelve years.  The plantation being four miles from the city, I had to drive the family to church.  I always dreaded the approach of the Sabbath, for, during service, I was obliged to stand by the horses in the hot broiling sun, or in the rain, just as it happened.

     One Sabbath, as we were driving past the house of D.D. Page, a gentleman who owned a large baking establishment, as I was sitting upon the box of the carriage, which was very much elevated, I saw Mr. Page pursuing a slave around the yard, with a long whip, cutting him at every jump.  The man soon escaped from the yard, and was followed by Mr. Page.  They came running past us, and the slave perceiving that he would be overtaken, stopped suddenly, and Page stumbled over him, and falling on the stone pavement, fractured one of his legs, which crippled him for life.  The same gentleman, but a short time previous, tied up a woman of his, by the name of Delphia, and whipped her nearly to death, yet he was a deacon in the Baptist church, in good and regular standing.  Poor Delphia!  I was well acquainted with her, and called to see her while on her sick bed, and I shall never forget her appearance.  She was a member of the same church with her master.

     Soon after this, I was hired out to Mr. Walker; the same man whom I have mentioned as having carried a gang of slaves down the river, on the steamboat Enterprize.  Seeing me in the capacity of stewart on the boat, and thinking that I would make a good hand to take care of slaves, he determined to have me for that purpose; and finding that my master would not sell me, he hired me for the term of one year.

     When I learned the fact of my having been hired to a negro speculator, or a "soul-driver" as they are generally called among slaves, no one can tell my emotions.  Mr. Walker had offered a high price for me, as I afterward learned, but I suppose my master was refrained from selling me by the fact that I was a near relative of his.  On entering the service of Mr. Walker, I found that my opportunity of getting to a land of liberty was gone, at least for the time being.  He had a gang of slaves in readiness to start for New Orleans, and in a few days we were on out journey.  I am at a loss for language to express my feelings on that occaision.  Although my master had told me that he had not sold me, and Mr. Walker had told me that he had not purchased me, I did not believe them; and not until I had been to New Orleans, and was on my return, did I beleive that I was not sold.

     There was on the boat a large room on the lower deck, in which the slaves were kept, men and women, promiscuously- all chained two and two, and a strict watch kept that they did not get loose; for cases have occurred in which slaves have got off their chains, and made their escape at landinbg-places, while the boats were taking in wood;-and with all our care, we lost one woman who had been taken from her husband and children, and having no desire to live without them, in the agony of her soul, jumped overboard, and drowned herself.  She was not chained.

     It was almost impossible to keep that part of the boat clean.

     On landing at Natchez, the slaves were all carried to the slave pen, and there kept one week, during which time, several of them were sold.  Mr. Walker fed his slaves well.  We took on board, at St. Louis, several hundred pounds of bacon (smoked meat) and cornmeal, and his slaves were better fed than slaves generally were in Natchez, so far as my observation extended. 

     At the end of a week, we left for New Orleans, the place of our final destination, which we reached in two days.  Here the slaves were placed in a negro-pen, where those who wished to purchase could call and examine them.  The negro-pen is a small yard, surrounded by buildings, from fifteen to twenty feet wide, with the exception of a large gate with iron bars.  The slaves are kept in the building during the night, and turned out into the yard during the day.  After the best of the stock was sold at private sale at the pen, the balance were taken to the Exchange Coffee House Auction Rooms, kept by Isaac I. McCoy, and sold at public auction.  After the sale of this lot of slaves, we left New Orleans for St. Louis.